Data and Information (UCDI)
The Union Commission for Data and Information (UCDI) was established by the IUGG Executive Committee in August 2008 to provide a focused and sustainable organizational structure that supports and strengthens IUGG science through integrated scientific information activities.
- Data science: Earth and space (geo)- informatics.
- Distributed data systems: virtual observatories, libraries, research communities and organizations.
- Open access to data and information.
- All issues related with data acquisition, processing, storing, manipulation, interpretation and use.
Within the above activity areas, the Commission:
- Provides a focus and single voice within IUGG, spanning all IUGG Associations and inter-Association bodies.
- Connects IUGG and its scientists to other bodies/agencies/initiatives that have interest and responsibility on matters of geo-data.
- Advocates and facilitate research and development in the growing field of informatics to improve data and information systems and practices.
- Promotes open access to data and adoption of inter- operable data sets.
The current officers of the Union Commission:
Chair: Peter Fox (USA)
Vice Chair: Charles Barton (AUSTRALIA)
Secretary: Adelina Geyer Traver (SPAIN)